- Air bags are supplemental restraints and are designed to work best in combination with safety belts.
- Both frontal and side-impact air bags are designed to deploy in moderate to severe crashes.
- Air bags reduce the chance that an occupant’s upper body or head will strike the vehicle’s interior during a crash.
- To avoid an air bag-related injury, always ensure proper seating position.
- Read your owner’s manual for specific information about the air bags in your vehicle.
Source: NHTSA. “Air Bag Basics: General Information.” http://www.safercar.gov website. Accessed November 30, 2015. http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Air+Bags/General+Information
© Copyright 2016. All rights reserved. This content is strictly for informational purposes and although experts have prepared it, the reader should not substitute this information for professional insurance advice. If you have any questions, please consult your insurance professional before acting on any information presented. Read more.