The Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) Marketplace helps small businesses provide health coverage to their employees.
The SHOP Marketplace is open to employers with 50 or fewer full-time equivalent employees (FTEs). This includes non-profit organizations.
If you’re self-employed with no employees, you can get health coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace for individuals, but not through SHOP.
Benefits of the SHOP Marketplace
Big changes are coming to the SHOP Marketplace for coverage starting January 1, 2016. Learn what’s coming.
- If your small business or non-profit organization has 50 or fewer full-time equivalent (FTE) employees, you can use the SHOP Marketplace to offer your employees affordable, high-quality health coverage.
- You control the coverage you offer and how much you pay toward employee premiums.
- When you compare health plans available in the SHOP Marketplace, you can choose from 4 levels of coverage. This makes it easier to find a plan that works for your business and your employees.
- If you enroll in SHOP coverage and have fewer than 25 employees, you may qualify for a Small Business Health Care Tax Credit worth up to 50% of your premium costs. The tax credit is available only for plans bought through the SHOP Marketplace.
Learn how to apply for SHOP coverage
You can apply for SHOP coverage any time. There’s no restricted enrollment period for SHOP coverage like there is in the individual Marketplace. Visit this page for a quick overview of the SHOP application process. Then we’ll move you on to your next step.
- Register for the U.S. Small Business Administration’s regular “Affordable Care Act 101” webinars.
- Learn how to get help for the SHOP Marketplace (PDF).
- Call the SHOP Small Employer Call Center at 1-800-706-7893 (TTY: 711). Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET. Agents and brokers may also use this number.
Source: HealthCare.gov, “Use the SHOP Marketplace to offer employee health insurance” http://www.healthcare.gov website. Accessed December 2, 2015. https://www.healthcare.gov/small-businesses/provide-shop-coverage/
© Copyright 2016. All rights reserved. This content is strictly for informational purposes and although experts have prepared it, the reader should not substitute this information for professional insurance advice. If you have any questions, please consult your insurance professional before acting on any information presented. Read more.
Leave a Reply