- Pension plans
- A pension plan is an employee benefit plan established or maintained by an employer or by an employee organization (such as a union), or both, that provides retirement income or defers income until termination of covered employment or beyond. There are a number of types of retirement plans, including the 401(k) plan and the traditional pension plan, known as a defined benefit plan.
- The Employee Benefits Security Administration
- The Employee Benefits Security Administration of the Department of Labor is responsible for administering and enforcing the provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act. ERISA covers most private sector pension plans. One of EBSA’s responsibilities is to provide consumer information on pension plans, and compliance assistance for employers, plan service providers, and others to help them comply with ERISA.
- ERISA’s functions include providing protections for participants and beneficiaries in employee benefit plans, including providing access to plan information. Also, those individuals who manage plans (and other fiduciaries) must meet certain standards of conduct under the fiduciary responsibilities specified in the law.
- Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
- The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation can answer your questions about so-called defined benefit plans. These traditional plans promise workers a specific monthly benefit at retirement. The PBGC also provides a Pension Search Directory to help reunite people with their missing pensions.
- Tax Questions
- For questions about the tax provisions in the Internal Revenue Code relating to pension plans, please contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Compliance Assistance
- Consumer Information on Pension Plans
- Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)
- Fiduciary Responsibilities
- Participant Rights
- Plan Information
- Retirement Savings
- Small Business Pension Plan Options
- Types of Retirement Plans
Source: United States Department of Labor, “Retirement Plans, Benefits & Savings http://www.dol.gov website. Accessed December 2, 2015. http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/retirement/
© Copyright 2016. All rights reserved. This content is strictly for informational purposes and although experts have prepared it, the reader should not substitute this information for professional insurance advice. If you have any questions, please consult your insurance professional before acting on any information presented. Read more.